Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Craig Bernier's "Your Life Idyllic"


Recently, Chuck Kinder told me about a new guy in town who was publishing a short-story collection. Actually, Craig Bernier's been here more than a decade, so he's not exactly "new". But I'd not heard of him until Mr. Kinder kindly introduced us via e-mail.

When I got my copy of "Your Life Idyllic" I set it aside. I'm not keen on most short-story collections -- Alice Munro's work being a notable exception -- because I like to immerse myself in stories. It disappoints me when a story starts to gain momentum and ends. I always want more, particularly if there are compelling characters.

Craig's collection, however, is more than satisfying. The stories are vivid and well told, and the characters are compelling and realistic.

And Craig's a great guy.

Here's my interview with Craig, published today in the Tribune Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment