Monday, April 16, 2012

Dispatch 1: A new start

Hello
Today is the first day of my new career. After 19 years of journalism, I'm starting a new adventure with some brilliant people. More about that at some other time.
This blog will be all about books, of all sorts and kinds, I hope. For the last 15 years I covered books for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Politics aside, it was a great gig. I got to talk to (and sometimes meet) some of the best writers on the planet. The list ranges from Pulitzer Prize winners David McCullough, and Michael Chabon to some of the best writers from my hometown:  Jane Bernstein, Lynn Emanuel, Jim Daniels, Kathleen George, Hilary Masters, Jane McCafferty and Chuck Kinder, who is connected to almost literati in town, and the rest of the world. I'm  proud to call Chuck a friend. He's one of the  kindest and most honorable people I know. Chuck also throws the best parties. If you're invited, drop any plans you have and make sure you get to his "compound" in Squirrel Hill.
But I digress ...
For the last 14 years I wrote profiles for the Trib. I was fortunate to interview Richard Ford, Jane Smiley, P. D. James, Jennifer Egan, Laura Lippman, Neal Stephenson, Joe Wambaugh, Michael Connnelly, Dennis Lehane, Lisa Scottoline, Alafair Burke, Kazuo Ishiguro, Francine Prose and many others.
I'm going to continue that here, I hope, in a few weeks.
For now, I'm just going to blog about what I'm reading and what's caught my eye. I'm almost done with "The Gentlemen's Hour" by Don Winslow. Winslow -- who wrote the seminal novel about the drug wars, "The Power of the Dog" -- is a fantastic writer who never, ever disappoints. Winslow again features the cast from"The Dawn Patrol,"  a group of middle-aged surfers from San Diego. They book are arguably mysteries, but I read them as meditative books about life via the prism of surfing. Highly recommended.
Not sure whats next on my docket. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment