Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dispatch 2: The Name Game

Trying to decide what to read next, I came across two books with the same title, "Wish You Were Here." Neither is a Pink Floyd biography.
The more promising novel is by Graham Swift, the noted British writer who won the Man Booker Prize in 1996 for "Last Orders." It's set in 2006 on the Isle of Wight and is described as a "moving novel set ... against the background of a global `war on terror' and about things that touch our human core." Knopf is the publisher.
The other "Wish You Were Here" is by Beth K. Vogt, who is also the author of "Baby Changes Everything: Embracing and Preparing for Motherhood After 35." Published by Simon & Schuster, the book description reads "Allison Denman is supposed to get married in five days, but everything is all wrong." Isn't it always so?
I've not read either book -- I'm more likely to open Swift's novel -- so I don't know if there are any Pink Floyd references. I just can't fathom why anyone would choose a title that's the same as one of the most popular records in rock and roll history.
Maybe the titles fit the stories. Perhaps there's an element of stealth marketing. They both might be fantastic books.
I just think I'd prefer a title that stands on its own.
The book I did start: "The Cove" by Ron Rash. I'm only 20 pages in, but it's riveting.

No comments:

Post a Comment