Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dispatch 3: No Pulitzer for Fiction

For the first time since 1977, there's no Pulitzer Prize awarded for fiction. I have mixed emotions about this. There were a lot of very good novels published last year, obviously. But I sort of like the idea that, if no single book that stands out per the Pulitzer board, there's no award. How many years do we come away from the Grammy or Academy Awards and think, what the hell just happened?
I interviewed one of the finalists, Karen Russell, early in 2011 when I was working at the Tribune-Review. I would have been ecstatic if she won for "Swamplandia!" an entertaining and magical book about a family that wrestles alligators in Florida. I
Here's a link to my interview with Russell: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/books/s_720125.html

No comments:

Post a Comment